Coronation brown shrimp with spiced pineapple chutney
Last year we were excited to be part of the ‘Taste of the West Country’ recipe book, celebrating award-winning chefs and producers from across the South West. As participating producers, we were partnered with the very talented Chris Dayer, Head Chef at River Exe Café. Chris created some outstanding dishes using our Date & Fig Relish, Redcurrant Mint & Orange Jelly, and Coronation Sauce; all Taste of the West 2015 award winners.
Below you’ll find his recipe for Coronation Brown Shrimp with Spiced Pineapple Chutney, using our Coronation Sauce in a truly unique way:
For the shrimp
2 tbsp Otter Vale Coronation Sauce
200g brown shrimp
2 tbsp seasoned flour
1 egg, beaten
Vegetable oil, for frying
For the pineapple chutney
½ tsp fresh ginger
1 small white onion
1 red chilli
½ a fresh pineapple
100g granulated sugar
100g white-wine vinegar
To make the shrimp
1. Mix the Coronation Sauce with the shrimp to bind.
2. Place a sheet of cling film onto a work surface and spoon the shrimp onto it. Roll into a tight cylinder, secure at each end and freeze for two hours.
3. After two hours, remove the roll from the freezer and cut into four equal portions, removing the cling film. Roll each portion in the flour, dust off and dip into the beaten eggs, then coat in the breadcrumbs, missing out the flour. Chill in the fridge until you are almost ready to serve.
To make the pineapple chutney
1. Chop the ginger, onion and chili. In a saucepan add a splash of olive oil and pace over a medium heat. Add the chopped ingredients and sweat until soft but not golden. Finely dice the pineapple, season and add to the pan and cook down for three to four minutes.
2. Add the sugar and simmer until it is dissolved. Add the white-wine vinegar and simmer until the liquid is reduced to a syrup.
Deep fry the breaded shrimp until a light golden brown, plate and serve with the spiced chutney.
We’d love to see your own version of Chris’s recipe. Share your photos with us and we’ll feature them on our Facebook Page!
We are a small Devon-based family business and for the past twenty years or so we have been manufacturing and distributing our own unique range of hand-made chutneys, savoury jellies, and other traditional food accompaniments from our kitchens based in Budleigh Salterton.